[AMRadio] Double Bazooka Antennas

peter markavage manualman at juno.com
Wed Sep 21 02:24:54 EDT 2005

Tried a double bazooka type antenna back in the 80's on 75. Compared it
to an existing 75 meter dipole at approx. the same height. Bazooka was
considerably heavier (because of the coax weight, Large center insulator
broke in half during a windy and rainy storm. During the winter, end
supports broke on two occasions due to heavy ice loading on the larger
surface area of the coax. In the end, found no difference in performance
with either antenna. Claims of "lower noise" with the bazooka were never
seen. The claims of a wider bandwidth on the frequency range of interest
were minuscule and probably attributed to the larger surface area with
the coax. Stations on the end of a QSO could tell no difference between
either antenna. Lots written up on the web about the "fabled" claims of
the double bazooka. Personally, it's not worth the time, energy, or
expense unless you have lots of spare coax to waste. A plain old wire
dipole works just as well and probably would stay up longer.

Pete, wa2cwa