[AMRadio] Drying iron

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 09:43:29 EDT 2005

On 9/20/05, Donald Chester <k4kyv at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Gas ovens are not satisfactory for this purpose, either, because water is a
> natural by-product of the combustion of natural gas and propane.  An
> electric stove oven works well.

Absolutely. And they are usually free or dirt cheap. Easy enough to
put another 220 line in the shop or garage, and you can also use it
for baking paintwork like cabinets, panels, or car rims.

I have an old General Motors range from the 50s with radio type slide
rule dials (backlit with red needles and all) that came with the house
when I bought it. Terrible for cooking and it would be gone by now
except for the small overall size and utility of drying iron and
baking paint. I've only used it for small transformers and chokes so
far, but I plan to make a rack out of heavy rails that will sit in
bottom and straddle the element, for larger items. Until then, the old
chromed rack shelves work fine for the average painted item.