[AMRadio] RE: SWL'ers and AM (Also Philco and RCA too!

Bob Scupp wb5yyx at uphi.net
Wed Sep 21 11:59:28 EDT 2005

Blank>I. too, was attracted to amateur radio by listening to AMers on an old
Philco floor console that my dad had in the attic. In my earliest
adventures, I managed to scrounge 2 missing tubes from another Philco
table radio he had up there too that worked but had the frying pan
sound going on. Just as well, it didn't have SW bands. I still recall
one was a 6F6G and the other was a.....7C6 lock pin type? Both radios
are still in my possession, too!<

Todd'Boomer' KA1KAQ and All!

As a collector and restorer of antique/classic amateur radio I learn
different facts and stories just like we do in amateur radio. Philco
sub-contracted their vacuum tube production to Sylvania in 1938. They
determined that sub-contracting RCA was too expensive. Sylvania "stole" much
of RCA's vacuum tube line, redesigned it with different specs, both physical
and electronic into the new "Loktal" tube line and re-copyrighted it for
themselves (Philco). This is why their electronic products from about 1938
to the early 1950's changed to a different model/chassis number scheme.
Since David Sarnoff and RCA had no material witnesses or documentation on
what happened, RCA did not sue Philco/Sylvania! As you know that was
Sarnoff's favorite legal trick to get more copyrights and patents for RCA.
They were not alone as you know in this endeavor, There was fierce copyright
wars in the old days. The Loktal tube design was very popular during the
late 1940's through the 1950's for automotive radios. Since they snap locked
into place they could not pop out of their sockets from vibrations.

This story was past along to me by my antique radio mentor and Elmer Jim
Steuber who is also a radio amateur. He was starting his repair and
restoration during the 1930's. He has truly been a wealth of information
source for me. My sincere thanks to him for this story which I pass along to
all on this thread!

Best 73's,

Bob K5SEP
Kilowatt Five Sporadic E Propagation