[AMRadio] Pi-Net vs Link Couple

bcarling at cfl.rr.com bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Thu Sep 22 07:37:13 EDT 2005

On 21 Sep 2005 at 21:45, Geoff wrote:

> I've heard recently that matching the output of the Class C
> pate-modulated final to the antenna is better, and more efficiently
> achieved by link coupling, vs Pi-Net.

Where did you hear that?

> On the other hand, it's argued
> that Pi-Net coupling produces less RFI than link coupling does.
>
> So, which is better?

Pi Network.

> Why?

I can only tell you from my own experiences, that a) You already
answered the foirst part - less harmonics, and
B) you get more power out.

That is enough to persuade me.

I know some folks swear by link coupling.
I swear at it!

I had an Eldico rig once with an 807 final.
I could only get about 15 watts out with the link coupling.
I re-confiugred it to be a pi network and immediately had
no diifficulty getting about 35 watts out.

Now some may argue that the link coupling circuit wasn't
made right, wasn't adjust right etc. etc. I don't care about
that.  I just like pi networks.  If  it was good enough for
Art Collins...