[AMRadio] RE: SWL'ers and AM (Also Philco and RCA too!

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 24 21:04:44 EDT 2005

So, was the purpose of Locktal tubes to get around the RCA copyright, or to
prevent the tubes in automobile radios from working out of their sockets
from the vibration?

It has been my experience with locktal tubes in house radios that the
sockets become noisy and intermittent.  However, the physical construction
of the tubes is very similar to that of miniature tubes.  I suspect the
concept of miniature tubes borrowed heavily from locktals.

Don K4KYV