[AMRadio] Ameritron ATR-30

Patrick Jankowiak recycler at swbell.net
Sat Sep 24 22:08:48 EDT 2005

Deric, that's nothing compared to what I have been mumbling..

I've looked at the AT5K, and see the ceramic body inductor. That is what I
want, or an inductor with alot of taps and a big switch.

I've heard of the wheel on old ceramic body inductors occasionally jumping
the track if the thing gets dirty, but otherwise, I've seen these kind of
inductors 40 and 50 years old and still working properly once cleaned and
lubricated.

For now, after I return this contraption, I'll use an old tuner I built in
the 80's, which will handle a 100W rig easily, and be done with it. It does
not have a balun, but maybe I can make one, apparently, by winding enough
turns of RG-58 around a suitable form such as a 5" PVC pipe (as suggested
in a book/website or two)

I will not condider an AT4K because the inductor (current production model)
looks like the same or similar design apparently as the MFJ, er.. Ameritron
ATR-30, and there are negative comments about the inductor if the 4K.

I have done some research on tuners, and my initial impression about the
AT5K is this:

The price is high, but might be OK if it's as good as it looks, and the
customer service rules etc seem a bit less friendly at first look. I'm not
sure it's worth the money really. That is, a unit with a better switch and
inductor should be $500, not $1000.

So I'm not really sure what to do. Maybe I just need to start looking for
the appropriate parts. It's not rocket science, and then I can have a real
chassis and thick front panel, etc. If I need fancy metering, nothing would
stop me from making use of an old Drake 2KW unit I have sitting right here.

I don't care if it is big, that's what racks are for.

PJ

]]]]]]]

From: peter markavage <manualman at juno.com>
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Ameritron ATR-30

The Palstar AT4K or 5K is what you need.Built like a battleship.
Their web site is here: http://www.palstar.com/

Pete, wa2cwa