[AMRadio] Pi-Net vs Link Couple

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Tue Sep 27 09:12:41 EDT 2005

Plate AND screen mod.

When the plate is modulated, its voltage varies,
and the screen current varies inversely, so an
impedance in series with the screen will modulate
the screen.

The interesting thing is that this works with
either a reactance or a resistance. With a simple
varying current, an inductance would be expected
to produce much more modulating voltage at high
audio frequencies than at low audio frequencies.
But the mechanism that produces the screen current
variations is sensitive to the screen voltage, so
that doesn't happen.  It's as though the screen
and the impedance tend to produce the
instantaneous voltage that the screen wants.

  Bacon, WA3WDR