[AMRadio] k1man fined

Phil Galasso k2pg at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 2 22:09:03 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] k1man fined

> Also I would think ARRL in Newington should be VERY
> careful before they fire up their W1AW Broadcasts now.
> This precedent could easily be applied to them, if someone
> wanted to entrap them.

The difference between the W1AW broadcasts and the K1MAN broadcasts is that
W1AW does not openly promote any merchandise sold by the League. For that
reason, W1AW  was not the subject of any FCC enforcement action. W1AW is not
doing anything illegal under the current rules. Several years ago, a
Petition for Rulemaking was filed with the FCC. This petition would have
eliminated ALL broadcasting activity on the congested HF phone bands. The
FCC never put it up for public comment.

Broadcasting, whether by K1MAN, W1AW, or anyone else, does not belong on the
amateur bands. If someone wants to play "broadcaster", let him or her buy
time on the numerous commercial shortwave stations that operate in this
country. The rates on most of them are quite reasonable and those stations
run a minimum of 50 kW transmitter power (not including antenna gain).

Phil G.
K2PG