[AMRadio] 10 Meter AM Frequencies

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 5 16:50:47 EDT 2006

>From: "TChesek at Epix.Net" <tchesek at epix.net>

>I'm somewhat intrigued with converting a CB radio to 10 meters from the
>pure
>technical perspective, but the typical 4 watts AM power leaves a LOT to be
>desired. Am I missing something here?  I have a Radio Shack HTX-10 that
>does
>7 watts AM but is more respectable on FM and SSB at 25 watts.

I have one of those too, but have probably used it a dozen times in the past
5 years or so.  When on 10m I much prefer my Eico 720 with modified 730
modulator, with the rig excited by a 40m DDS VFO.  Sounds much better and
puts out a bigger signal.

The 7 watts on AM wouldn't be bad when 10m is open.  But the thing has
terrible audio.  I looked at the schematic and couldn't figure out how to
modify the audio so it wouldn't be so tin-can sounding.  Has anyone else
figured out how to do this?

Of course you could always run a "leenyar" to boost the power.

Don k4kyv

like it.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/