[AMRadio] CB vs GB

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 5 17:17:33 EDT 2006

>From: VJB <wa3vjb at yahoo.com>

>11 meter Class D Citizens Band as it once was known
>has faded out in popularity, so it no longer provokes
>me to hear any attention paid to it rather than ham
>radio. But I tell ya, I recall torturing people
>sitting in shopping center parking lots, walking up to
>them after seeing their good buddy antenna, and saying
>in a faux excited voice "Hey is that one of those HAM
>radios???"
>
>Of course they'd say no, it's a CB, and I would put on
>a crestfallen face, turn on heel, and walk away.

That reminds me of a few years ago when someone rang the doorbell, and it
turned out to be a CB'er inquiring about my 127' tall 160m base-insulated
vertical tower.  He told me he had been noticing that tower for a couple of
years, and that there was no antenna on it.  He was wondernig if I would
give the tower to him if he agreed to take it down.

I hesitated for a moment, and pretended to be thinking about it, then
replied, "No, I don't think I'll get rid of it just yet.  Might decide to
put an antenna up there someday."

Don k4kyv

like it.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/