[AMRadio] k1man fined

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 5 18:08:29 EDT 2006

>From: "Mike Sanders K0AZ" <k0az at corpranet.net>

>This thread is painful at best.
>In the late 50s the then sales manager for Walter Ashe Radio in St. Louis,
>MO ran
>A2 code practice on 10 meters. From letter recognition to maybe 10 WPM.
>This
>was
>done on a regular schedule and was one way broadcasting. It helped a lot of
>young
>hams including me get their first ticket.
>The ARRL information broadcasts including CW code practice have always been
>for
>the benefit of hams. There has never been a commercial or political
>component involved
>in any of their broadcasts that I know of.
>It is possible with the changing times these broadcasts are not as
>important
>as they once
>were with email bulletins and such. However still to this day not everyone
>has a computer
>and some still get information from these broadcasts.

Another active broadcaster is WA0RCR near St. Louis.  He transmits weekly
bulletins on 1860 kHz, calling it the "Gateway 160 m. Newsletter."  He
transmits for hours, beginning in early afternoon, until past midnight.  His
transmissions originate from RAIN, Newsline, ARRL and other sources, many of
which are also broadcast over local repeaters.

The content is always ham  radio related, and there are never any
solicitations for money.  Vern has been making these "broadcasts" since
about 1980, even before LORAN was taken off 160.  I have heard very few
complaints about his operation, which is always conducted in a professional
manner, and I have never heard any stories obout the FCC getting on his
case.

I think attitude has a lot to do with it.

Don k4kyv

like it.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/