[AMRadio] W1AW vs. K1MAN

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Wed Apr 5 20:35:06 EDT 2006

Donald Chester wrote:

>> From: "Phil Galasso" <k2pg at worldnet.att.net>
>>

>> There is an exception which permits one-way transmissions for the
>> purpose of
>> code practice and for the dissemination of "information bulletins" of
>> interest to the amateur radio community. This is the loophole that
>> W1AW has
>> used for decades.
>>

> Years ago, I remember routinely hearing other ham stations besides
> W1AW transmit ARRL bulletins.  There was even an official ARRL
> appointment called OBS, "Official Bulletin Station."
>
> I recall reading in pre-WW2 QST's that these appointments used to be
> called "Official Broadcast Stations."  I think ARRL got paranoid in
> later years regarding the prohibition against "broadcasting" and
> re-named them "bulletin" stations.
>
> Haven't heard any of these for years, so I assume that the league has
> dropped the appointments.  Of course now, with the internet, there is
> no need for widespread bulletin transmissions on the ham bands.

Jerry/W5KLV used to be (as recent as a year, or two ago?) the "OBS" for
the 5th Region/section of the National Traffic System.  During lulls in
the 7290 Traffic net (it's something we live with, down here in 5-land),
and RN5 and other area nets, Jerry would check-in, announce he had some
bullitens, then later be called upon to transmit those league bullitens
which he got from Newington, CT's own W1AW, from  either teletype or CW,
transcribe the data to his voice, recorded into some device, then played
back on the air.

Don't know if Jerry is still kicking anymore, or not, or who's doing the
OBS for traffic nets

--
Geoff/W5OMR