[AMRadio] W3PHL

WA3FRP at aol.com WA3FRP at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 23:18:52 EDT 2006

Hi Glenn,

I grew up in suburban Philly to and went to the University of Pennsylvania
(W3ABT).  Penn took a long-term lease on the old Valley Forge Nike Base  which
happened to be down the road from W3PHL's location - Horseshoe Trail Road
just west of Valley Forge National Park.

It was a fantastic site to operate with a clear shot to the horizon in  all
directions. W3ABT used this site for Field Day starting in the  1969 and for
many years after that for Field Day.  I guess that 3PHL  moved from Springfield
sometime prior to then.  I never visited his QTH but  I could see his tower
and antennas. Wow!  I heard from others that he has a  TX so large that you
could walk inside.  Memories from my youth.

73

Russ WA3FRP