[AMRadio] W3PHL

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Thu Apr 6 01:32:17 EDT 2006

I met Fred at the NAAAM Christmas Party in 1968.
He was a legend even then.  Then I worked for
Jesse K3GKB back in the early 70s, and Jesse was
president of the repeater group that put the 34-94
machine on Fred's tower.  I helped Jesse lay the
repeater shack foundation and even shorted and
smoked the VHF PA (Bill K3JPB found the short and
got it going again).  Heh heh

I saw the W3PHL operating position, but I never
went into the transmitter room.  The picture is
around on the web, the transmitter room was the
size of a walk-in freezer, with what looks like a
5KW transmitter on wooden shelves.  Evidently JPB
has that equipment now, or most of it.  I think it
will take a fork lift to remove the power and mod
transformers.

I talked to Fred once or twice on 75 back around
1969.  Oh man, that huge reduced-carrier signal
with 30 dB of audio clipping.. but it was totally
understandable.  He was talking to Bill W3DUQ
about space communications using a modulated
subcarrier on AM so you could have a wide receiver
bandpass, and then demodulate the subcarrier and
avoid most of the Doppler, which can cause about
+/-9 KHz of drift at 450 MHz with low-earth orbit
satellites.  Also he was working on a full-wave
bridge and a synchronous driver polarity flipper,
so he could use an ordinary class-C final for
high-level DSB.  He was having timing issues with
the driver polarity flipper in 1968, but I think
he finally got it to work.  I was a wiseass
because I had presence rise and the ST-PRO-B
headset, and he had low-frequency rolloff and the
ST-M.  Ah, youth.  JPB is still trying to find
info on the five-pole Canadian Marconi splatter
filter Fred was using after being harassed by the
FCC.

  Bacon, WA3WDR