[AMRadio] "white Faced Johnson"

VJB wa3vjb at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 05:53:44 EDT 2006

Mike/XU mentioned the Johnson Messenger. Yes, they
were a hot ticket when I was on 11m as a kid in the
1960s. On the air they were known as the "White Faced
Johnson" for the brushed aluminum front panel and
square, breadbox styling. Who has a breadbox anymore?
Well anyway, these could apparently be tweaked to
10-15 watts, excellent upgrade on its own or to drive
a leen-yer.

My "station" was a Shady O'Rack Americana 23-Plus,
which had a "half channel" of 22A (which they
helpfully pointed out was illegal for Class D 11 meter
use in the U.S., thereby confirming it would work
here), driving a Super Mag ground plane vertical. This
was around a sunspot peak of some kind, and I did
pretty well working dog X-Ray.

By 1969 I had gone SWL, then into "ham" radio by late
1971 and never looked back. Only thing in common with
those days is running AM and tweaking the technical
side of the plant.

Paul/VJB