[AMRadio] modulator tubes

Brett gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com
Thu Apr 6 11:23:42 EDT 2006

I got a set of sockets for 4cx250b/4x150a tubes from fair
radio about 20 years ago.
I found a design in an old QST about using those tubes in
a 600 watt modulator and built it with minor changes.

Works great, some of those type tubes are low distortion
plus no driving power.
Another advantage of them is you can change the plate
voltage between 1000 volts and 2000 volts without changing the
bias or screen voltage.

The only downside is they need a blower.
I pressurize the lower chassis, which cools any
other parts that might get hot.

It works, its been trouble free for 20 years, despite the
tube type adjustable screen voltage regulator circuit
out of the Bill Orr handbook.

Bill Orr also had a water cooled setup of an RF
amp for mobile work, anyone remember that?
Water cooled tubes (designed to be) that used a fuel
pump and a 5 gallon jug of water....

Now that's real ham radio!

Brett
N2DTS