[AMRadio] CB vs GB

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Thu Apr 6 13:27:15 EDT 2006

Barry Sherwood wrote:

>I used to tell folks the bugcatcher and capacity hat
>were for receiving HBO!
>Most believed it too.
>
>Barry, KF5GC

Everyone asks me "who you talking to with that thing?  Mars?"

The most asked question is "how far can you talk?"

When I tell 'em "half-way around the world", they get a blank look on
their face, as if to say "only half-way?"  Then I say "Think about it -
if I go any further, then I'm not talking as far."

That leaves 'em thinking.  Very few 'get it', until I explain that
talking more than half-way around the world means I'm not talking as far
as half-way around the world, which is as far as I can reach, from that
particular spot.

I do tell 'em that the best distance (DX) I've had from the mobile, is
Chattham Island (900km off the coast of New Zealand) which was the same
night I worked the Cape of Good Hope, in South Africa, while sitting on
the Shores of the Gulf Coast of Mexico, in Pascagula, Mississippi,
looking over the water at 10:30pm.

It was a good night, for barefoot (100w) SSB on 17m.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR