[AMRadio] modulator tubes

doxemf at aol.com doxemf at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 14:04:20 EDT 2006

Brett said,

--Bill Orr also had a water cooled setup of an RF
amp for mobile work, anyone remember that?
Water cooled tubes (designed to be) that used a fuel
pump and a 5 gallon jug of water...
Brett,
In the 80's Panasonic started using an oil filled heat exchanger in their HIFI amps that replaced
the normal Aluminum heatsinks and allowed a more compact chassis layout. Even a 5 year old laptop
that I recently had to fix the power connector in had a similiar small oil filled assm. that allowed
the internal fan to be placed in a better location.
I suppose this type of cooling could also be used with the ceramic tubes alowwing thermostatic fan
control and external radiator mounting. A smaller computer fan could then be used to further cool
the other internal heatsources.
Sorry about the formatting. AOL grabbed something from the former e-mail and won't let me change it.
Bill KB3DKS/1