[AMRadio] "white Faced Johnson"

Robert Nickels w9ran at oneradio.net
Thu Apr 6 22:49:40 EDT 2006

VJB wrote:
> Well anyway, these could apparently be tweaked to
> 10-15 watts, excellent upgrade on its own or to drive
> a leen-yer.

Back in the 70s when I used to help a buddy in his CB shop on weekends,
this was a commonly requested mod by CBers who'd come dragging in a
newly-found Johnson whiteface.   My buddy liked the $25 of pure profit
to just jump or clip out dropping resistor.  But it rubbed me the wrong
way, so I volunteered to do the mod one time,  and just relocated the
resistor to a different point in the same circuit!   The dopey CBer's
good buddies said he "put in a lot more pounds" afterward -  some kind
of placebo effect I guess.

73, Bob W9RAN