[AMRadio] : BC 610 needing POWER 220VAC

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Fri Apr 7 23:45:43 EDT 2006

I may be falling into a joke or something here, but have three BC-610's
and I have yet to run any of them on 220 vac.  All three are wired for
115 vac as that's what was provided with the generator from which they
were originally powered.  Both sides of the AC line entering the
BC-610's are fused with a 25 amp fuse and I have yet to blow one, even
when the overload protection circuit kicked out indicating an excessive
current drain.  The two I use at this time both have an output in excess
of 400 watts on CW and 350 watts on phone, so they are drawing full
current from the mains.  Granted, it would sure be nice to have a 220
vac primary on the power transformer to provide for a more stable line
voltage, but at 115 vac I still only see about a 3 volt drop at full power.

It would be nice if the owner of the BC-610 spoken of here would put it
on the air or if he prefers, put it on the market so it could be in
circulation.  They are great old war horses that will be around long
after most of us are gone.

Rick/K5IZ