[AMRadio] : BC 610 needing POWER 220VAC

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Sat Apr 8 00:14:32 EDT 2006

> Hi Jim,
>
>> Most big rigs run from 220VAC if for no other reason, just load
>> balancing.  Big rigs will often pull more that 20 amps of AC line
>> current on
>> modulation peaks.  So to prevent the line voltage from dropping
>> anymore than
>> is necessary, we often put the HV power supply on a separate 110VAC
>> side of
>> a 220 circuit.  And then run the rest of the rig, and other
>> paraphernalia,
>> from the other side.  This is call load balancing and it reduces the
>> current
>> on the common line of the 220 service and thereby reduce power
>> voltage drops
>> on modulation peaks.
>>
>> John, WA5BXO
>
> Jim Miller WB5OXQ wrote:
>
> I had an idea that it draws too much current for a common 110
> circuit.  My centurion amp requires 220vac also.  Otherwise it would
> need 30 amps at 110 and that is too much for most wiring in homes.  We
> never tired to operate that transmitter and I don't know if he still
> has it but I bet he does.  He has a lot of STUFF that he never uses.

I think ya'll are all missing the point... the BC-610 has a twist-plug
recepticle on the back of it  the blades are curved.  If one didn't know
better, one might think that the BC-610 used a special plug, that
connected to 220VAC.  It does not.

Jim, if your friend has the rig, and has the plug that goes into the
back of it (and everything else needed for it) then yeah, you could puot
it on 75m AM phone.  The single 250TH modulated by a pair of 100TH's was
a military wonderment, in it's day.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR