[AMRadio] : BC 610 needing POWER 220VAC

James M. Walker chejmw at acsu.buffalo.edu
Sat Apr 8 10:16:19 EDT 2006

The BC-610, does not operate properly, when the front panel
switch is in "protect" or "tune" mode, if you are on AM. Bias
voltages change all around as the "tune/protect" position switches
in a series dropping resistor to the 115 VAC main input.

The manual, says tune in CW mode, using the tune position.
Dip the plate current, "to get you in the ball park. Then go to
operate, and peak the grid drive to the 250TH, and also with
no modulation set the modulator current to 40 MA resting.
The driver stages 6V6 through to 2X807s can be peaked
by turning on the exciter plate power switch. If you are getting
distortion in the "protect/tune" position, that is correct as the
bias, HV and drive are all off normal.

You "CAN'T" reduce power by operating in tune position
without getting distortion. The manual says, to run at reduced
RF output, decrease the output coupling swinging link position
to reduce RF output to the level you want.

As always,
YMMV
Jim
WB2FCN