[AMRadio] : BC 610 needing POWER 220VAC

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Sat Apr 8 17:58:25 EDT 2006

Rick Brashear wrote:

> You're sure right about the twist plug, Geoff.  I replaced my two
> prong with a three prong twist and it was a booger bear to find one to
> fit into the hole.  I finally stumbled across one (literally!) over in
> Ft. Worth at Nortex.
>
> Someone mentioned a dedicated AC line and running it through a 25 amp
> variable transformer for their 610, that's the same set up I use.
>
> Has anyone experienced distorted audio when using a BC-614 when "High
> Voltage Protect" is on?  The "E" model doesn't have this problem, but
> when I tried to check out my BC-614-H on the 610-H I got real
> distorted audio in low power.  All works great in the "Normal" position.

I'm sure it's because of the bias being 'fixed' (variable by the front
panel rheostat) but that's severly reduced B+ when that switch is on.
Not nearly voltage to bias off the 100TH's, to have anything resembling
'smooth' audio.

That, or the bias voltage is also reduced, when the B+ is lowered.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR