[AMRadio] Re: Triode connecting 803's for a Modulator

ne1s ne1s at neandertech.com
Mon Apr 10 13:03:44 EDT 2006

Elaborating on Don's comment, the reason this is done with the
triode-connected 807 is that if the control & screen grids were simply tied
together, the control grids would be exceeding their maximum dissapation
before the screens could be driven hard enough to provide reasonable output.
We don't want to vaporize the control grids now, do we :>) I suspect this
would hold true for other tetrodes & pentodes in a triode connection.

I've used 6146s as modulators in the triode connection on a couple of
occaisions. I feed audio to the screen grids only and just bias the control
grid with a DC voltage to set it at the proper operating point. At lower
plate voltages (say, <600V or so), the control grids can be tied directly to
ground. At higher plate voltage, a few volts negative wrt cathode is all it
takes. Screens are at DC ground in either case.

Perhaps try something similar with the 803s?

73,
 -Larry/NE1S