[AMRadio] Ranger II Problem ? Need Help..

DWRIGHT12 at neb.rr.com DWRIGHT12 at neb.rr.com
Tue Apr 11 11:45:07 EDT 2006

> don't know where to start looking. The problem is a very loud hum,
> seems like 60 Hz, heard in my receiver, that comes from the
> ranger.. The transmitter tunes up fine, and modulation is O.K. It
> isn't there when the transmitter is zeroed into the receiver, just
> when I remove the zero.. Completely wipes out the receiver..

Hiya Mark!

I would be curious as to the solution to this as well.

I think this sounds a lot like the same problem I have with
my Ranger. Try turning the VFO/xtal switch to one of the xtal
positions. Does the hum go away? If so, it's the same problem
I have. It's got something to do with the VFO (obviously!), in
it's free-running state, perhaps? I know if I tweak the pot
on the sub-chassis right next to the VFO compartment (I forgot
what the pot is...I'm at work going from my faulty memory) the
"hum" stops, but there is some other issue this causes and I can't remember
what it is.

I would really like to know what to do about it!!!

73 de Dan -- WA0JRD ..