[AMRadio] Re: Ranger II Problem ? Need Help..

ne1s ne1s at neandertech.com
Tue Apr 11 12:35:52 EDT 2006

Once I had a problem with my Ranger I, which could be what you are
experiecing (maybe, maybe not...) The 6CL6 driver was taking off and
oscillating with no signal applied to it's grid. This created a nasty hum in
the reciever. Setting the driver plate tank capacitor slightly off-resonance
(I think the control labeled "buffer" on the panel) made it go away. It was
occurring on 160M only.

73 & GL,
 -Larry/NE1S

Mark McDougal writes:
I have a Ranger II that's developed a problem and I really don't know where
to start looking. The problem is a very loud hum, seems like 60 Hz, heard in
my receiver, that comes from the ranger.. The transmitter tunes up fine, and
modulation is O.K. It isn't there when the transmitter is zeroed into the
receiver, just when I remove the zero.. Completely wipes out the receiver..