[AMRadio] Mobile Base for Heavy Iron

Robert Nickels w9ran at oneradio.net
Wed Apr 12 23:01:59 EDT 2006

I'm really pleased with the mobile base I built for my 20V-2 and wanted
to pass along the information to others.   I really wanted to be able to
move the transmitter around, but didn't want to raise it off the floor
any more than necessary for stability reasons.  The answer came when I
found a seller of ball transfers on eBay at a very good price. These
have a 1" carbon steel ball rolling on 80 internal 1/8" dia. balls  and
are rated for 75 pounds each - -
http://www.hudsonbearings.com/SBT-1.html    I went with 20 for a total
capacity of 1500 pounds.   The ball transfers have 3/4" long studs on
the back so all I had to do is drill holes and screw them into a piece
of 3/4" plywood with a pipewrench.   It only took an hour and a half to
make.

If you want to be able to move heavy stuff, this is the only way to go,
and also the cheapest, with the ball transfers going for a buck
apiece.   Search for eBay seller
katamay62 and let him know how many you want, he'll set up a Buy It Now
for you.  He has lots of 'em.

Here are some pictures of the final result, once I paint the plywood
black it will be hard to even tell it's there

http://photobucket.com/albums/v652/ranickel/Mobile%20Base%20for%2020V-2/

This only raises the transmitter by 2 1/4" and leaves the steel base
accessible and the transmitter supported just as Collins intended, only
this "floor" moves!   Should be adaptable to any big rig.

73, Bob W9RAN