[AMRadio] Modulator for DX60 available

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Fri Apr 14 10:27:50 EDT 2006

Alan Beck wrote:

> I am sorry, did we work out how it could be interfaces with a DX 60?
> Normally there is a transformer in parallel with the output plate I
> think and modulation is applied to the other side to "squish" the RF
> at Audio frequencies.
> Is this what you mean by output iron?
>

> John Lyles wrote:
>
>> I have a self contained, commercial looking modulator chassis that
>> would work well with a DX60 sized rig. It uses a pair of 807s and has
>> the input and output iron and driver tubes. It came from a SK's pile
>> this summer. If there is interest, I would part with it to help out a
>> DX60 conversion to high level plate modulation. Its a small thang.
>> Technical details available upon request.

Alan, I'm pretty sure John's statement was meant to say that the
external modulator he had, would work with a rig that was around the
same size (ie: power output of around 50w) as a DX-60.

Of course, we all know that typical high-level plate modulated AM
requires a modulation transformer that is connected in series with the
B+ supply from the power-supply of the final, to the final stage
itself.  The audio generated by a typical push-pull Class B modulator is
coupled via the modulation transformer to the B+ line.

I might be mistaken, but I don't think I've ever seen an 'external'
modulator deck that was built with the intention of  screen/grid
modulating an RF final.

Hope that helps clear up some confusion.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR