[AMRadio] Modulator for DX60 available

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Fri Apr 14 12:22:55 EDT 2006

Rev. Don Sanders wrote:

>Geoff, while you may not have seen it,
>WRL made a screen modulator for a
>couple of their CW only small transmitters
>back in the 60's that was external to the
>transmitter and plugged into an accessory
>socket on the back of the transmitter.
>Rather rare now.
>BTW, I have copy of 2 articles for a
>Bias-shift modulator from the 50's and
>how to apply it to a DX60 for high
>level plate modulation. It uses a
>modulation choke for a form of
>Heising modulation and used the
>built in controlle modulator to drive
>the modulator tube- usually the same
>type as the final tube./ I recently
>found a 6 henry 200 mil choke and
>I am going to try it on my DX60B.
>Healthfully yours,
>                          DON W4BWS

Just because I havn't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, Don :-)

Sounds interesting, though.  I wonder how that would work out, with
something a bit larger?  Say, a 250 or 300w dissapation tube in the
final, and one of the same in the bias-shift modulator?

You might need a choke that would handle more than 200mA, but 10HY
chokes @ 500mA seem to be plentiful.  I've got a half-dozen or so, here.

Homebrewing at it's finest.  You could probably even get away with using
a common DC supply for modulator and final, in that configuration.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR