[AMRadio] Are Canadians smarter than United States-ese?

Ed Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Sun Apr 16 09:47:21 EDT 2006

Hi Don,

No --- I most assuredly do NOT think for a single fraction of a nano-second
that we're any smarter here in Canada than any of you FB folks south of the
49th...

What I DO perceive as being different between us, perhaps, is more of a
"laissez-faire" kinda feeling here, as compared to your country...a sort of
"...You do your thing, I'll do mine, & if the two don't meet, so much the
better." This was driven home to me about 20 years ago, when I belonged to
the Canadian DX Association. One of the active members was also heavy into
the (then) C.R.R.L., & he came to know a lot of the Canadian regulatory
folks quite well...

During one of our coffe-break QSOs, he told me that, in essence, a Canadian
Ham could pretty much do whatever he might please do, in the eyes of our
regulators, just as long as he wasn't (A) adversely affecting somebody else,
and, (B) nobody complained about it...Period.

That's what I see as being different from you guys --- it has nothing to do
with being smarter, brighter, more perceptive, nothing! In my opinion ---
maybe it's because of the prevalence of lawyers in the U.S. ...? --- you
have gone opposite of the "de-regulatory" route, and are dissecting every
little thing to the nth degree. It's really not necessary, as long as people
would become more tolerant of one another, and simply live & let
live...sadly for everyone, you sure don't see that happening anytime soon on
75-meters, though!

Anyway, my $0.02 worth as a Canucklehead "VE3"-type!

Happy Easter all, & my vy

~73!~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ