[AMRadio] antenna tuners

Brian Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Thu Apr 20 07:29:03 EDT 2006

> I don't believe in them.
>
> If you can't resonate your antenna, then what are you doing?

You ar etransmitting some energy and you are getting a whole
lot of reflected power that is wasted. You might also be cutting
back a lot of your power in the final RF amplifier of a modern rig.

> If you use a tuner, you are creating a voltage divider effect that
> creates a reactive load in your shack, to ground that makes your antenna
> "feed line + radiating elements".

Maybe - what if the tuner is outside at the base of the antenna?

> Over the years, the importance of having at least a 2:1 match with at
> least 1.5:1 some where in the the antenna design.

Huh?

Over the years many of us have transmitted with a 3:1 SWR and
no tuner and made plenty of contacts - tube finals of course!

> Proper antenna design for your favorite frequencies is the best choice.

But some of us can't always get what we want. When you MUST
compromise, there is a LOT of good that can be said about
a matching network for one's antenna.  It is usually an impedance
transformer rather than a "voltage divider."

> I currently use a multi-element dipole to cover 80,40,20,15 and 10 meters.

> Just like microphones in the sound work I help out with at church. If
> they are not singing into the mic, I cannot "fix it" without creating a
> gain structure that is sucking up to feed back"

Different entirely from an antenna tuner.

> You need to fix your problems at the source.

The antenna is the load.

> I our cases, it is resonance of your antenna, by some means.
>
> Even my hamstick on my jeep

I have had GREAT success RESONATING antennas with a matching
network.  I don't understand why anyone would "not believe in"
something when they are so effective.