[AMRadio] antenna tuners

Larry Will lhwill at verizon.net
Thu Apr 20 09:57:03 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Resonance

Commercially, antennas are built for the task and pattern, match follows.

If you think about it, one cannot obtain resonance of a straight
dipole at every frequency in 75-80 meters (or 10 meters for that
matter).  By the equations (there are 3 definitions of resonance by
the way) only one frequency can be "at resonance".  So even on 75
while you may cut an antenna say for 3880, it is no longer "resonant" at 3510.

Without getting into the calculus and Maxwell's equations, the
radiation from an antenna is determined by integrating the
incremental current along the wire or conductor.  That and only that
determines radiation.  Matching is used to reduce losses in the feed
system and or the final tank and to provide a symmetrical load to the
final amplifier.  By symmetrical, I mean the R is matching the plate
Z (or xistor Z) and the x varies smoothly + and - around zero as the
frequency is changed from low to high though the channel of
interest.  There are many AM broadcast stations of 50 kW that use a
5/8 wave radiator with a suitable matching network.  This antenna is
not resonant by definition but nevertheless radiates quite well and
has a gain over a 1/4 wave resonant antenna working against a 1/4
wave ground system.  A single frequency T network is used to bring
the input Z to 50J0 at the "doghouse" at the base of the tower.  A
properly designed network will have a loss of only a few percent
which is insignificant.  (In Broadcast AM directionals, the FCC
"allows" 8 percent loss for ALL the networks, i.e. the phasor/power
divider and each of the tower networks.  8% in power is 0.36
dB!).  The only real "problem" and it probably isn't a problem is
standing waves on the feedline will also radiate distorting the
"pattern" but most HF antennas are way too close to the ground anyway
and that really distorts the pattern and greatly increases ground losses.

Many years ago in QST there was an article by an engineer from I
think RCA showing that losses in feed systems at HF are
insignificant.  From my Sig Corp texts and others, there are in fact
ground losses associated with any feed system especially if the area
below the feeders does not have a ground screen of some sort and the
balance is not perfect.  However, these losses are insignificant
unless the feedline is very long.

The problem with the typical SWR meter is you can't tell what you
have at a dip.  The X component polarity cannot be determined so you
are working in the dark.  The dip may be Z with the wrong value of R
combining in quadrature with the X to give a Z of 50 ohms but not an
R of 50 ohms.  Only a good RF Z meter that displays X and R
accurately can tell you what is really going on.  They just don't
exist for balanced lines.  If you can truly float the bridge and RF
source and detector you may be able to measure a balanced line at
least at the lower bands.  I have RF ammeters in both feeders so I
know that at least I am in balance.

So don't worry about resonance but do worry about baluns with
reactive loads and poorly designed tuners that have high circulating
currents within causing the losses we worry about AND get the wire up
as high as possible unless you are working NVIS.

Larry W3LW