[AMRadio] Time machines for your parlor

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 14:11:18 EDT 2006

On 4/20/06, W1EOF <w1eof at hamnutz.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Anyway... if you have not done so in awhile, take a few minutes to peruse
> some really old magazines or books. Get a nice cup of your favorite
> beverage, a comfy chair, and some quiet time. Someone on a list was looking
> for a time machine... This is the closest thing we got.

It's the only way to go, Mark. CDs are nice, compact and all that, but
a pain to try to read in bed and so on.

Strange coincidence perhaps, but two nights ago a friend gave me a
backseat full of QSTs, a couple years of CQ, and a box of old
hardcover books including the fourth edition of the Radiotron
Designer's Handbook and volumes of VHF and UHF by the Radio Laboratory
Staff. QSTs go from the late 30s to the 70s, some of the later ones
are in binders.

At some point, I'm hoping to trade off some of the dark brown binders
for the older red ones, maybe even find some of the CQ and 73 hard
binders as well. Like you, I'm not anti-CD, but there's nothing quite
like being able to walk over to the bookcase, slide out the book you
want, and carry it off somewhere to leaf through its pages.

If there's anyone out there with magazines to trade, sell, or
otherwise dispose of, perhaps we can work some deals to get the issues
to those who want them. I have a lot of duplicates, but the thought of
having them pulped isn't at all appealing.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ