[AMRadio] antenna tuners

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 21 19:56:29 EDT 2006

> > I don't believe in them.
> >
> > If you can't resonate your antenna, then what are you doing?

I prefer to use just one dipole, centre-fed with open wire line, and use
multiband tuners to operate that same antenna on several bands.  That way it
is uniformly efficient all the way across each band, and I don't have the
clutter of multiple dipoles strung all around each other, or the compromise
of an "all-band" antenna such as a trap dipole.

With a proper tuner, the antenna, feedline and ATU all make up a resonant
system.  Resonance can be changed by changing the length of the antenna, the
length of the feedline, or the adjustment of the tuner, but it's the whole
system that is placed in resonance, not just the antenna wire itself, as in
the case of a simple coax-fed dipole.

Don k4kyv

like it.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/