[AMRadio] antenna tuners transmision lines and more

John E. Coleman (ARS WA5BXO) wa5bxo2005 at pctechref.com
Mon Apr 24 11:27:32 EDT 2006

Thanks Don and Gary for a better description.  Gary I really liked the
descriptions and explanations of radiation resistance especially the one of
the mobile antenna.  That's the one thing that a lot of folks don't quite
understand.  It's what I call antenna efficiency.  I've been told that the
radiation resistance of an 80 meter base loaded mobile antenna is less than
1 ohm.  IF YOU COULD, deliver a 100 watt signal to this there would be 100
amps of current and the Q would be so high that you wouldn't have enough
bandwidth for the audio spectrum.

Here is a example of a real short antenna.  I tried to push some power into
the 1KW tank circuit of my final once with the final turned OFF, by
connecting the driver output to the output of the 1KW rig.  The big tank
capacitor ARCed over before I got 15 watts into it.

John Coleman