[AMRadio] Fw: Grounding Resistance

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Mon Aug 7 09:17:02 EDT 2006

Pieter Gerlach, VE1PPG said,

"Being somewhat of a noephyte and fledgling subscriber to the AM Radio
Digest, i may be way off base or ignoring some of the pittfalls and dangers
involved with my proposal but what would be wrong with running a heavy
ground wire directly to an above or underground spring or aquafer?

 I realise that it would have to be done judiciously to obviate the
possibility of electrocuting those who have direct contact with the body of
water or homes which draw their water from it.

But, for those who live in rural areas removed from nearby neighbors would
it not be effective to run a ground wire into an active body of water which
has no direct connection with other homes or metal plumbing?

Can anyone point out the fallacy of my simplistic proposal. As a farmer, i
am out standing in my field ready to have the wrath of Thor descend upon me."

73,
Pieter Gerlach, VE1PPG

Reply from Jim, WD5JKO,

   Peter, you could go one step further and pour several dump truck loads of sodium bentonite into the pond over your ground wire. This stuff is non toxic, inexpensive, conductive, and usually used to reduce water loss from small ponds into the ground. Why not?

   I have a 25,000 gallon inground swimming pool in my yard (came with house :-( ), and it has a rebar reinforcement in the cement shell. That is supposed to be grounded somehow as per NEC code. Problem however here is I have no idea if, where, or how it is done.  If I could find the attachment point (if it exists), I'd not hesitate to use it. The kids should not be swimming anyway during a thunderstorm.

   One other thing to ponder for us hams, is that low ohmic ground resistance at DC or even 60 hz, does not mean low resistance at RF frequencies. At RF, say 80 meters,  a tuned 1/4 wave piece of wire above ground might be a better counterpoise than a 64' deep ground rod. For lightning protection, and RF  use as well, maybe use both.

REGARDS,
Jim
JKO