[AMRadio] R-388

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Mon Aug 7 22:03:00 EDT 2006

I apologize to those on more than one list for this repetition.

Before I dive into this R-388 head first I better find out if there is a
problem or it's just an idiosyncrasy of the receiver.  On all band
settings, .5kc thru 30mc,  the dial is very close to center turning the
"Calibrate" only a little.  However, when I move to the right of center
the calibration gets worse to he high side and the opposite happens when
I go left of center.  It is more than just a tad.  If I go close to the
edge of the dial (especially the high side) I am no longer able to move
the "Calibrate" enough to line it up with the dial.  The receiver seems
to be very sharp, hears great, everything functions properly and in
general has no problems.  Since this is my first 388 I didn't know if
this behavior is normal or if I have a problem I need to correct.  The
dial and tuning mechanism seem to have very little if any slack and move
very smoothly.  There is a little bump on each revolution I am guessing
is normal.

I hope I have described this right.  Any ideas or advice?

Thanks,
Rick/K5IZ