[AMRadio] Reply-trimming and 'for-sale' responses

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Sun Aug 13 15:26:28 EDT 2006

John Lawson wrote:

>   The concept of 'trimming reply text' is, IMHO, a Great Idea - and I
> think that the root of this discussion is not so much that there
> exists "for sale" traffic, but that a certain minority of Listmembers
> cannot, or will not, go the extra step of highlighting and deleting
> the mass of already-read-by-everybody text, when adding thier input
> (be it ever so frugal as a classic "Me too!"). or when
> (inadvertantly??) replying on the List to a "For-Sale" post, that
> probably should have gone to the Seller only.

I've never seen that said any better.  That's why I left it there.  It
needs to be read again, and again (but certainly not quoted again, and
again!)

>   Then, naturally, the rest of the Trimless Club also reply in kind,
> generally with a one-liner, at the top of an ever-concatenating
> cascade of old and mouldy text. It's just plain irritating. Of course,
> merely mentioning this, in however a polite and defferential manner ,
> brings howls of wounded sensibilities, complaints of heavy-handedness,
> and threats to "take my Dakaware knobs and go home...!"

Let 'em go, and Good Riddance to 'em!  There's a -list- to run, here.
This ain't no day-care center!  I can't believe how many grown men sit
back on their haunches and cry "foul!" when they don't have the decency
(ability?) to read and comprehend what passes in front of their faces.
There's probably the feeling of "oh, that can't POSSIBLY be directed at
-me-".

*ahem*

;-)

>   I'm admittedly very biased in this regard, having had an Internet
> presence going back before the WWW (remember Gopher, WAIS, and
> Archie/Veronica?) and various on-line accounts about ten years before
> that... it used to be a matter of bandwidth and byte-stream
> conservation, when 14.4Kbps was blazin' fast and expensively rare, and
> when many users paid for thier Internet access by the *byte*.

I was just telling Brian a few days ago, that I was in the BBS business
m'self back in the dark ages, thanks again to my friend John/WA5BXO.
The first time I saw digital communication, was with a PC, connected to
a phone line via a 300-baud modem that he and his wife Vickie lugged
here to San Antonio from Houston.  I was hooked.  That was 1985.  Some
think it's a laugher, but to me it's a serious tag-line that asks: 'what
do people without modems use their computer for?'
 Nowadays, the modem is replaced with the NIC.  Same thing.  The only
difference is speed.

>   Also, I may be in a minority of one here, but I use PINE under a
> Unix shell account to read all my mail....  so to take care of proper
> reply-orientation and message-trimming, I have to do it all
> manually.     Kinda like tuning my transmitters up.

KDE makes a nice gui, now that 3.5 is out.  There are good email
programs, like Thunderbird (which I'm using).  Thankfully for me,
there's more than one platform for Thunderbird and Mozilla.  The server
runs SuSE Linux 10.0.

>   If Y'all can maintain and operate Boatanchor AM gear, then trimmimg
> excess reply text shouldn't oughta be such a Problem....  again, my
> own opinion, flame away (privately) if you wish.

I just hope everyone else reads it, and understands, John.

>   Lastly - I think posting things For Sale here is a 'good thing' -
> whether it be direct to the List or a link to amfone, etc. - it keeps
> scarce and desirable items 'all in the family' so to speak, rather
> than going to a high bidder who will get your meticulously-restored
> and perfectly-operating classic radio back home to Seoul, then strip
> the knobs and tubes, and trash the chassis....  ;{}

If that happens, (and I hope it does) let's not forget
http://www.tinyurl.com.  Takes a -huge- URL (like a Google search
result) and turns it into something more 'manageable'.

ie:
TinyURL was created!

The following URL:

    *http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&hs=oPf&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&oi=sp
    ell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=craigslist&;spell=1
    *

has a length of 148 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL
which has a length of 24 characters:

*http://tinyurl.com/eapxz*

> now to get my Old Valiant out on the bench and see what puked in the
> final tank circuit. Again.   grrrrr...!

It's probably a capacitor.  they're notorious for going out.  Typically,
at the most inopportune times ;-)

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,