[AMRadio] Packaging Radio Gear

david knepper collinsradio at adelphia.net
Wed Aug 16 08:00:26 EDT 2006

Could someone explain to me how radios were shipped back in the 50's so that
they arrived at the dealers with no apparent damage.  I wonder what the
original packing was back then?

With all the thousands of expensive solid-state transceivers, computers,
etc. shipped today, I rarely ever hear of any of them getting damaged.  I do
know that they are cradled in  styrofoam.

It would seem that the reason our "boatanchors" are damaged in shipment is
either the manner in which these heavy radios are packaged or how the
shipper handles the package - perhaps, a little of both.

How were Viking Valiants, etc. packaged by the manufacturer?  I know that
many of these early radios went by rail or motor freight before the advent
of  UPS and FedEx?

Recently, I shipped a Collins 32V-3 transmitter to Chicago using FedEx
services.  The transmiter was carefully boxed and then enclosed in a wooden
crate.  It helps to have a neighbor that works for FedEx!

Thanks

Dave, W3ST
Publisher of the Collins Journal
www.collinsra.com - the CRA Website
Now with PayPal
CRA Nets: 3805 Khz every Monday at 8 PM EST
and 14255 every Saturday at 12 Noon EST