[AMRadio] Packaging Radio Gear

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Wed Aug 16 11:14:36 EDT 2006

> It would seem that the reason our "boatanchors" are damaged
> in shipment is either

(1) the manner in which these heavy radios
> are packaged or

(2) how the shipper handles the package -
> perhaps, a little of both.

It's certainly some of both, but in my experience MUCH more about (1) than
(2).  You can't throw a Valiant or a Globe Champ 300 into a used cardboard
box with some packing nuts and a few sheets of insulation foam and then
point a finger at UPS when something is damaged.  On the other hand, even
well protected, cushioned, crated and strapped to a pallet won't help if it
gets dropped 6 feet off the back of a truck ...

But the latter is less likely (either being dropped or being that well
packed) than the former ..

Grant/NQ5T