[AMRadio] Re: Packaging Radio Gear

Radio Station W5AMI ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 13:41:18 EDT 2006

I bought a Henry 3K Classic X from a guy off eBay a few months ago.  I
paid several thousand dollars on a buy it now after discussing with
him on getting it shipped from CA to Arkansas.  The deal was he would
have it professionally packed & crated for an additional $50 and the
shipping by freight would be (I forget exactly) around $325 unloaded
and put in my shack.

Point is; the crating and shipping costs were worth it to me due to
what I paid to buy the amp.  It came in perfect condition, and I even
kept the crate since it was constructed so beautifully.  A lot better
than I could have done for $50, and every part of it was made to fit
the amp in a manner where the internal padding was like a glove.

If you buy a Valiant for $400, or even a Ranger for $300, see if the
seller can have it crated by a pro.  If they can crate a Henry 3K (200
lbs) for $50 like they did mine, a Valiant should be even less, if
not, and I wanted a Valiant bad enough, I'd still pay an extra $50.
Cardboard boxes just don't cut it for things of that mass.  If a
shipper destroys a well made wooden crate and its contents, they won't
have a leg to stand on with a damage claim.

Brian - w5ami