[AMRadio] Re: Packaging Radio Gear

Daniel J Wright dwright12 at neb.rr.com
Wed Aug 16 14:48:03 EDT 2006

Brian sez:
> Cardboard boxes just don't cut it for things of that mass.
And I agree wholeheartedly....but I gotta tell you guys.

I once bought a Heath Apache from a fella in Georgia. I live in
Nebraska. What does an Apache weigh? 100lbs? The guy shipped it to
me packed in ONE cardboard box, surrounded by the little foam
peanuts.....

AND IT MADE IT!!!! Can you believe it? The cardboard box was split and
falling apart but the xmtr was just fine.....amazing. The exception
to the "rule", I guess...this was back in the mid-eighties.

I recently bought a Kenwood TS-850SAT from a guy in California. I was
very specific about how I wanted it packed, double-boxed, etc, etc.
His response was "don't worry, I pack and ship stuff all the time" .

Uhh-huh....it arrived in one box just barely big enough to hold the rig.
The rig had ONE layer of the large bubble wrap around it. That was
it!!!!

When I took the box from the FedEx guy, I noticed a three-inch
diameter hole in the middle of one side....and again, aside from
the fact that the radio was filthy and greasy (where does the grease
come from?)
it performed up to snuff.....lucky again I spect'!

73 de Dan -- WAØJRD ..