[AMRadio] Packaging Radio Gear

Alan Cohen acohen at texas.net
Wed Aug 16 17:23:43 EDT 2006

Back in the 50's and 60's almost nothing was shipped by air --
certainly nothing as heavy as a Johnson Valiant or a Heath Apache.

But I have had a Valiant shipped to me, and it cost me nothing!  My
friend constructed a wooden frame to hold the rig inside of a very
large cardboard box.  There was no rush to get it shipped, so he was
able to wait until he found a suitable box.  It took so long that the
the tubes, which were shipped right after I bought the rig, arrived
about a month before I got the transmitter itself.

We decided that FedEx was the best way to ship the thing.  As it
turned out, they picked it up about four days before Christmas with
guaranteed two day delivery.  Due to all the heavy shipping traffic
it arrived a day late.  FedEx probably had to chose between my
Valiant and a dozen or so smaller packages.  I was not the least bit
unhappy to get free shipping as a Christmas present from FedEx.  We
honestly did not plan things that way, it was just how it worked out.

My friend's packing method worked -- the rig arrived in fine shape
despite all of the packages passing through FedEx at Christmas time.

Alan
WA2DZL

.