[AMRadio] Legal-Limit tuner advice....?

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Thu Aug 17 23:05:10 EDT 2006

Joe W4AAB said;
Wouldn't the old Johnson kW Matchbox work OK?

   Reply From Jim WD5JKO, My experience with a FW 80M loop at 18' high is
that at resonance it looks like about 80 ohms resistive. My Viking 275
Matchbox cannot match to that low of an impedance on 80M. If the loop were
not resonant, and you played with the feeder length along with the antenna
length, then the Johnson Matchbox might tune it in. In my case 75 ohm coax
with a sleeve bead balun would be the ideal feeder. Instead I use 50 ohm
coax and a home made unbalanced tuner in the shack, and a 1:1 current balun
outside feeding 400 ohm open wire line to the FW loop. Works.

Jim
JKO