[AMRadio] Legal-Limit tuner advice....?

W1EOF w1eof at hamnutz.com
Fri Aug 18 01:09:44 EDT 2006

Keep in mind that while the "T" tuners can match a wider range they also can
be mis-tuned into a mode where a lot of power is consumed in the coil yet
all looks good. This can't happen in a PI network for instance. It's a good
reason to have one or more RF ammeters around for monitoring your antenna
current.

I prefer a link-coupled tuner like the MB for balanced loads, a parallel
type tuner for end-fed wires and such, and a PI for coax-fed antennas. I can
tune my Zepp from 80-10 including WARC bands with the MB. For 160 I can feed
it as a "T" through a special link-matcher. You'll find many different
opinions except that I think everyone agrees the MFJ tuners are very cheaply
made. I have a 949 that I don't use that much... it's got flimsy components
in it. Fine for say 100W I guess but no more. The switches feel flimsy too
when you rotate them. I wouldn't recommend one that's for sure.

73,

Mark W1EOF