[AMRadio] acustical damping

John Coleman ARS WA5BXO wa5bxo2006 at pctechref.com
Thu Aug 24 17:52:53 EDT 2006

"Cool tubes" reminds me of an old friend who even though is silent key, I
will not say his name or call.   I had a lot of respect for the gentleman
but this was classic.  He had wound a very nice ultra large modulation XFMR
and it worked wonderful but was prone to talk back.  K5SWK suggested that he
submerge it in oil so our friend purchased a large Styrofoam ice chest and
put the XFMR in it and filled it with oil.  The acoustical damping was great
but the oil would seep through the Styrofoam and leak on to the wooden
garage floor.  The floor was old and not too good so he really didn't mind
too much.  He just added more oil.  Later he put in a wooden dipstick.  We
all wondered how many transmissions he got to the quart.

John