[AMRadio] Fraud on E-bay

Don Merz don at thedjbrothers.com
Thu Aug 31 09:52:31 EDT 2006

Just my opinion but, this is probably more laziness
and stupidity than fraud. $200+ is just not enough
moola to attract the fraudsters. They will go for high
3 figures or low 4-figures all the time.

I've been at the wrong end of 4 frauds so I am
something of an expert. All were in the music or
camera equipment area. I made the mistake of paying by
money order the first time and lost my money. The post
office did nothing even though I went through all
their bureaucracy, worked with the local police as
they recommended, etc. Lesson learned: Money orers
protect the seller, not the buyer.

The other 3 times were all by PayPal. In all 3 cases
PayPal recovered my money. Two of them were for
purchases just over $100 for which the seller just
never sent the item. One seller even had the nerve to
complain to me afterward about the bad feedback I
left! The third one surprised me. I tried to buy a $2K
plus audio mixer on eBay and PayPal would not let me
send the money to the seller. They said the seller
already had fraud claims against them. I researched
the seller (because it was quite a bargain--in
retrospect probably "too good to be true") and sure
enough, e-mails bounced and phone calls went nowhere.
I was on my knees thanking PayPal over tha one.

This guy just looks like someone who doesn't know what
he is doing and is trying to remain anonymous. Just an
idiot, probably not a fraudster, IMHO. He probably
found the pic in a google search and that saved him
from having to take one.

73, Don Merz, N3RHT