[AMRadio] Breaker Info

Mike Dorworth, K4XM k4xm at arczip.com
Mon Dec 4 13:01:32 EST 2006

There are so many " What if's" that only guessing works well. There are also
" Shunt Trip" breakers that break with say 50 mills to cut a 20 amp circuit.
Usually we think of a  breaker with a bi-metal strip heating and curling out
of the way at a certain temp caused by over current. Some even reset by
themselves!. The shut trip can be configured to trip if a overvoltage
condition occurs instead of over current. Even if a interlock door is
opened. I have a Heinemann that has extra coils that sense the current while
the contacts only open or close the circuit without regard to actual current
through contacts.Think it is called hydraulic, but I would bet there is no
oil.. Just another $0.01 worthless.. 73 Mike

Bi-metal is very interesting stuff. Since all metals have a different
thermal coefficient of expansion, two metals of different types bonded
together will curl when it gets hot or cold.Makes dandy breakers, and
thermostats!