[AMRadio] Catadioptric, was refractor

Geoff Edmonson ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 15:06:44 EST 2006

On 12/3/06, Jack Schmidling <jack at schmidling.com> wrote:
> VJB wrote:
>
> > The term dates back quite a while, but maybe it's
> > archaic now !
>
> I have been on the Internet since before Al Gore invented it and I have
> never before heard the term.

Take it from someone who had an IP address in 1990 (44.76.2.231),
that's an archaic term.
I -think- it came from the old BBS days, when there were 'echos'
(message areas that were 'echo'ed' through a network of computers).
Echo, reflector - same diff.

Back in the 1200baud days (I was around in the 300baud days, too) I
started up a Ham Radio Hobbyist Landline BBS, due to the influence of
John Coleman/WA5BXO.

In 1988, where was the Algore, then?

In 1979, I worked in Southern California at General Dynamics.  This
'voice over IP' that everyone is raving about... had been available
for about 5 years prior to my knowledge of it, in '79.  One of my
supervisors used to talk to his YL (another supervisor, and a no-no,
as far as the company was concerned) on the telephone, via a 'intranet
connection' (as it was called 'way back then).

'Reflector' is the proper term for the Mailing list your eyes are
currently resting on.

--
Operating your AM rig without a scope
is like driving our car at night without headlights.(~K4KYV)

73 = Best Regards
-Geoff/W5OMR