[AMRadio] Kenyon T-161 Info?

ARS W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 21:24:17 EST 2006

On 12/4/06, A.R.S. -  W5AMI <ars.w5ami at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to post a want on amfone.net.  I'm not in any hurry, but sure
> would be nice to secure one.  Thanks Geoff.

If you've got 'em (and they're -much- easier and cheaper to find) you
can string smaller inductance values together in series to get the
inductance you need.

that's what I'm doing, now.  See, if I run 1500v @ 300mA, then that's
not only 450W DC input to the final, it also presents a Z in the final
of 5000 ohms.

Currently (till I get my HV B+ supply built) I'm controlling the
output carrier with the swinging link.  That's all well and good, but
the B+ doesn't change, and when you pull the link out to reduce power
output (I do it because of the neighbors... self-imposed 'quiet-time,
kinda) but when the link is puled out, and I'm drawing 100mA @ 1500v,
that makes for around 150w DC input, but the Z has now shot up to 15k
ohms of Z.

Rule of thumb, as it's been stated here and on the AM Window is 8Hy
per 1000 ohms of Z in the final.  Well, 8 * 5 = 40Hy.  That's easy
enough to come up with.  8 * 15 = 120Hy and now we're talking
*serious* iron, but I'm doing it.  That big chunk of PEter Dahl iron I
got from Brett put me just over the 120Hy edge, but that's with 6
chokes in series.

When the power supply is built, the B+ will be varied with a VariAC on
the primary.  At the half-points (750V @ 150mA) = 112.5w DC input -
good enough for the neighbors, and the Z stays the same, as if it was
1500v @ 300mA.  Therefore, the 40Hy will be all I need.

AT THAT TIME, I could probably come up with a 20Hy @ 500mA to help you
along the path.

but your gonna have to come down here to get it.  Shipping is gonna kill ya ;-)

--
Operating your AM rig without a scope
is like driving our car at night without headlights.(~K4KYV)

73 = Best Regards
-Geoff/W5OMR